Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hiking on the Coast of New Zealand

I was happy to see that it was nice outside meaning we could do the hike we weren't able to do a couple days ago. It was awesome, small green islands dotted the clear ocean with mountains all around, it was very scenic. On the hike there are numurous trails leading to sand beaches where you can take breaks but it wasn't until we got to the steepest trail that we went down to the beach, which we decided to spend the whole day at. We would have done the trail we were planning on doing but it was so relaxing on the beach and we were all so tired that we decided to take another relaxing day. Actually all the days we've been here have been relaxing days but that's what vacations are for. It was ice cold water and I was the first one to go in. I was out about 2 seconds after I got in but it was refreshing. There were also some big rocks further down the beach to climb on and explore which was also kind of fun. We thought it was a deserted beach at first but after walking down the beach we found out there were a couple kayaking groups hanging out which made me want to go on a kayaking tour. Mom told me I'd be able to because she got all the info for it and everything, the girls plan on taking an art class or something while me and dad go kayaking because you have to be 14. The miserable part for me was hiking out because my feet were all sandy and I hate walking in sandy shoes. Amelia and I ran ahead of mom and dad to make sculptures with rocks, there was a muddy part of the trail where you could make little pictures with these rocks and I just decided to do my initials for everyone on the path to see. After getting out of the park finally, we stopped by the cafe near the entrance to get a hot drink, I got a chai latte which I liked. For dinner we had one of the best meals ever, which is fish and chips. It came with too many french fries for our whole family to handle. Tomorrow we plan on going to the Sunday Market which should be a good cultural experience. Check out my pictures on the side, I have one of mom attempting a cartwheel!

No comments: