Saturday, May 10, 2008

Orsay Art Museum and the Catacombs


The Orsay is a famous art museum across from the Louve which has a lot of Monet's paintings especially. We walked there which was relatively short and when we got there there was no line or anything. It used to be an old train station and I liked the setup a lot more than the Louve. For one thing, there's too many people so sometimes you can't even see the paintings very well but at the Orsay, I think the art is just as good and there's no one never a crowd around one painting. I like how at the Orsay there's this big elaborate clock right in the middle of a wall which makes it feel like an old train station. My favorite work of art was the Polar Bear statue. It was probably really easy to make and everything but I just liked the smoothness and how real it looked. Another thing I liked was a sculpture of a Roman gladiator with his foot on another's neck looking up at the king to look for the thumbs up or thumbs down. If you didn't already know this, a thumbs down would meen that he'd have to kill him and a thumbs up was to let him live. Most of the time I think he gave a thumbs up but there were also a lot of thumbs down. There was a sculpture that one of Rodine's students had made because she'd loved him. She wanted to marry him but he decided to stay with his wife so she made a sculpture about it. There was her, a beautiful girl with a miserable look on her face and Rodine kind of looking like he was thinking if he'd made the right decision and then Rodine's wife looking like a witch dragging him along. She later went crazy and ended up in a mental institution. The Monet paintings were also interesting to me because he'd do the same painting about 5 times but in different colors according to his mood. I left out a lot of paintings I liked but there are too many to go into detail about. When we were done looking through the museum (dad made sure we 'bagged it' meaning we see every single painting in the museum) we hopped on a Metro to go to the Catacombs where we wanted to see lots of bones. When we got there there was a huge line so we were worried we wouldn't be able to get in but we barely made it. The descent seemed like forever so we had to have been really far underground and it was pretty dark with a creepy vibe. All I can say about most of it is a bunch of tunnels without any bones for a long way. It made for a really good picture though. When we got to the bones there were millions of them stacked neatly together. There was every bone there including a bunch of skulls. I touched one and it just felt like a rock. I'm pretty sure Isabel touched one too. Amelia was to chicken to even go near one. Unfortunately the camera wasn't charged so we didn't get many pictures at all before it died but it was amazing. There were also a few skull and crossed bones. It looked just like the ones on a pirate ship flag. It was a lot more fun than the sewer tour but much more creepy. Today we didn't go anywhere because I was sick and still am a little. I finished my whole 343 page book in 2 days which wasn't a surprise because it's my favorite series about the Olympian's of Greece. I did get out a little to go to the bookstore and out for an ice cream cone but that was later in the day when I was well rested. More tomorrow!

1 comment:

schnauzer said...

Hi Gabe,
Interesting read. You're a good writer. I have learned a lot through your trip and your blogs. I'm happy to travel with you by e-mail for the tunnels and sewers....ha!Have a wonderful day. Love you with all my heart,
Grandma Nick