Sunday, April 13, 2008

Skiing (day number 2)

This post is for a while ago but we've been so busy doing fun stuff that I haven't had much time to blog, bad excuse. We went skiing 2 days but the second day was way more fun for me than the first because I was aloud to go out alone and didn't have to wait for the girls and dad. I had mom's cell phone so we were able to stay in contact and I sort of knew the resort better than last time because we'd already been there. The first thing I did when I got there was head to the very top of the mountain which we were going to do yesterday but couldn't because we got there too late. You have to take up about 4 lifts just to get there because of how high it was. When I was going up the final lift to the top it was really windy and cold and it wasn't a lot of fun. When you got to the top you kind of have a feeling that you're no longer a part of the rest of the resort. It's completely different. Just getting your binding on can be hard because of how hard the wind was blowing. It's really fun though because there's no trees of anything, just a plain snow cap so you can go wherever you want. I headed to the left a ways but was afraid I would accidentally go into a double black diamond which I don't want to do because it has cliffs and other extreme terrain that I wouldn't be able to do so I started on my way down and kept on going down for about 30 minutes until I finally came to another lift. My plan was to spend most of the day in terrain park because I find that kind of stuff more interesting than just going down a hill. Dad had told me not to go down any black diamonds but when I went down the snow cap I couldn't avoid it but I did it good and only fell about once. I love the terrain park there because of how long you can just go down the hill on rails and jumps without having to go on a lift. I went down some how missing the superpipe a couple times but when I finally came across it and went in, it was really cool. It's not like it looks on T.V. When you jump into it you get going really fast and it's icy up the part going up so I was actually able to get air. In Ohio they just dug a hole and put snow in it and called it a halfpipe but for now on I'm just calling it a hole or trench. After a while I went to do a black diamond again since I had done it up on the top so I thought I could do it again and it did go okay with only a couple falls. They are officially my favorite kind of hill to go on, tied with terrain park. I love the challenge of steering around the moguls at high speeds and then if missing one ending up falling on your ass. Once I did this run I went to meet dad and the girls for lunch up about halfway on the mountain. We had packed a lunch so we didn't get one of them nice mac n' cheese bowls but it was still refreshing after all of the boarding. After lunch I mostly stuck to the black diamonds but my favorite was a run called the Outhouse. It was a super long black diamond with tons of big moguls and there was only one other person on it who took a break halfway down because of how long it was. It was a big confidence builder because it was an expert slope and I did it with very few falls. Near the end of our day it started snowing really hard and I had forgotten my goggles in Isabel's backpack so I went down the slope blind a few times but still got in some black diamonds. On my very last run, the park was closing and I was still way up on the mountain (about 20-25 minutes from the bottom) and it wasn't steep at all so I wasn't going very fast so a ski patrol guy gave me a lift down on a snow mobile. I wasn't lost or anything but I was scarred by the time I made it to the bottom the rental place would be closed and dad would get mad and as it turned out, the rental place was closing fairly soon. Later that day we had Beau Jo's for dinner and for some reason mom was a bit dissapointed in it that time. I thought it was amazing but I was also starving so anything probably would have. We're going home tomorrow and saying good-bye to Colorado. We're planning on coming back here next year for more skiing and hopefully moving here. Today we went to see Nim's Island and it was pretty good and we also had Mexican food for dinner. We also got dessert at our hotel.

No comments: