Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Recreation Center of Evergreen


Today, I got up and there was a lot of snow on the ground so I went down to the town taking my usual pictures but it looked a lot better because everything was white.  It seemed like that was how Colorado should look.  By the time we left the house all of the snow was gone.  We went to the recreation center which is in downtown evergreen.  It has a water park, climbing wall, and other exercise machines.  I went to the climbing wall the first thing I got there.  I started out on the medium wall and made it to the top with no problems.  Next, I went to a harder wall that actually made you turn downwards a little forcing you to dangle and climb up with your hands.  After that I went on the hardest one there, in it, it turns you downward multiple times.  The guy handling the rope as I climbed up told me to go up the easy part fast because I was going to need my strength at the top.  He was right, when I got to the top I ran out of handholds so had to jump for one.  The first time I clung on to it but fell and finally about the third or fourth time, I got it and pulled myself up.  I had to go downwards three times until getting to the top.  It's always a good feeling when you finally get it.  After about a minute on the ground, my fingers and arms started to hurt from pulling myself up.  Mom was talking to a climber who told me to get my legs up higher and it would make things a lot easier.  Next, I went on the second hardest wall which was the one that didn't point you down at all but instead didn't have any handholds but tiny crevices in the rock.  The difference between this one and the other one was that the hardest one used up a lot of strength and was hard to pull yourself up on and the other one was harder to find handholds but didn't use as much strength.  It took me a while to get to the top but it felt a lot more realistic than those rock handholds that jut out of the wall.  These used a lot of finger strength and my fingers were throbbing at the bottom.  The guy that was still talking to mom said that serious rock climbers do finger exercises to strengthen their fingers and that mine would be hurting for a few days (they stopped hurting a long time ago).  I then went to the water park where Amelia and Isabel played the whole time.  First I went in the lazy river thing where it was like the one at any other park but without the rafts.  The current was also a lot stronger.  It was fun because when you got towards the turn the current would whip you around.  I also went on the water slide which if you fling yourself into, you can go to the edge of the slide at open parts which is a small thrill. I've decided that I want to make rock climbing a hobby that I do regularly if I can.  There's a place in Columbus for climbing and I'm going to see if I can go there sometimes.  My mom forgot her camera so we don't have any pictures of me climbing the wall but we plan on going back again soon.

No comments: